5701 Springdale Rd
Austin, TX 78723
TEA Staff Development Credit Offered
Presented by Terri Couwenhoven, well known sex educator and author, specializing in the design and implementation of sexuality programs and resources for people with cognitive disabilities, their parents, and the professionals that support them.
Topics will include:
● How to compare and contrast sexual learning in the general population with patterns of learning among individuals with cognitive disabilities
● How to identify typical stages in childhood and adolescent sexual development (in other words “What’s normal?”) and emerging developmental issues unique to individuals with intellectual disabilities.
● Describe key roles parents & professionals play in promoting and supporting healthy sexual development
● Identify unique issues in methods of teaching (how to teach)
● Describe key foundational concepts that support healthy sexuality (what to teach)
● Identify models for thinking about and handling sexuality issues that surface
● Identify resources for teaching and supporting healthy sexuality
Read more here: BodiesBoundariesandSexuality