For this week’s group, we will discuss transition-related skills through the lens of science fiction. We will begin by discussing our favorite books, films, and TV shows in the genre (e.g. Dune, Star Wars, Star Trek, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Ender’s Game, Bladerunner, The Martian Chronicles, Planet of the Apes). We will then discuss the scientific method, some major scientific achievements, and the power of imagination in shaping the course of our lives, both as individuals and as a society. To conclude, we will play a science fiction spinner board trivia game!
If you have a MeetUp account, please RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/Austin-Adults-With-Disabilities-Social-Group/events/271523167/?isFirstPublish=true
As the Autism Society of Texas plans to begin hosting these virtual groups on a weekly basis, keep your eyes peeled for more information about online gaming activities, such as Dungeons and Dragons, Magic: The Gathering, and More!
Joining a Video Meeting:
If you have never joined a video call on Google Meet before, no worries! This is a learning experience for all of us. Here are your instructions:
1. Send me (Jordan Fogle, Co-organizer) the email address you would prefer we send an invitation to. On the week of the event, an invitation will appear in your inbox and will include a URL to join!
2. Google Hangouts may ask you to log in to your email account before you are able to join.
3. Make sure the browser you are using is either Chrome, Firefox, or Edge, and that you have downloaded the latest version. If you have Safari, make sure you have downloaded the appropriate plug-in.
4. Secure a computer/phone with a camera and a microphone! We want to see your lovely face!
5. As side conversations will likely disrupt the flow of discussion, plan on muting your microphone initially and focus on communication through the chat feature, at least until we can devise a way to call on folks one at a time.
6. Don’t hesitate to message me directly if you need further guidance or clarification!