Advantageous Gifting Strategies
In addition to general donations, we encourage our donors to consider methods of giving that are most advantageous to them. Please contact one of our team members to discuss how we can be helpful in facilitating donations to the Autism Society of Texas. Below are a few examples of advantageous gifting strategies that you may consider:
- Donor-Advised Fund – A donor-advised fund is an account set-up with a sponsoring organization that allows an individual to make a charitable contribution to the account and receive an immediate tax benefit, as well as retain advisory privileges on where the donation is ultimately distributed. (1) The donation can also be invested and grow over time while in the account. Some examples of donor-advised fund sponsors include Fidelity Charitable, Schwab Charitable, and Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program.
- Qualified Charitable Distribution – For individuals aged 70 ½ or over, a qualified charitable distribution is a distribution from an IRA that is paid directly from the IRA to a qualified charity. A qualified charitable distribution can satisfy all or part of the amount of the individual’s required minimum distribution from their IRA. (2)
- Appreciated Stock – By donating stock or other appreciated assets, a donor can avoid paying capital gains tax that would be paid if the appreciated stock was sold for cash and then donated. A donor can also claim the value of the donation as a charitable deduction in the year the donation is made. (3)
Making a gift of stocks, bonds or mutual funds is easy and has special tax benefits when contributing appreciated securities that you have held for more than one year:
- AST receives a gift equal to the market value of the securities.
- You can take a charitable tax deduction equal to the market value of the securities.
- You avoid paying any capital gains tax.
- You remove the value of the securities from your taxable estate.
If you would like to make a gift of stock stocks, bonds or mutual funds to the Autism Society of Texas, we would be happy to provide stock transfer instructions to you. It is a simple, straightforward process.
If you are thinking about this donation option – to initiate stock giving, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.