Autism Awareness Month is on the horizon! Are you looking to spread awareness and acceptance during National Autism Awareness Month? Here are some fun ways to get involved and help celebrate throughout the month of April!
- Sign up for the 2016 Texas Autism Bike Ride and Fun Run https://autismbikeride.greatfeats.com/ on April 3! There is a registration fee for the Fun Run of $25 per family, which includes free t-shirts and a lot of fun activities. The proceeds from the event benefit Autism Society of Central Texas to help provide support and advocacy for those living with autism #AutismRideRun
- Take the pledge for autistic inclusion http://www.autismacceptancemonth.com/pledge/ and support your local school system to do the same!
- Help your child become a self-advocate for their peers living with autism by teaching them about what autism is http://www.autism-society.org/what-is/
- Print and distribute these fun bookmarks http://homeschooling.about.com/od/freeprintables/ss/autismprint.htm#step8 to local schools and libraries
- Create an Autism Awareness Ambassador Program http://www.autismnj.org/ambassador or club at your school to help raise money and spread awareness
- Get educated! Read a blog http://autism-hub.com/ about autism and spread your knowledge to unknowing peers
- Shop autism-friendly businesses such as Artists with Autism http://artistswithautismunite.webs.com/ or this awesome site for puzzle-piece jewelry! http://www.thepuzzlingpiece.com/products.html
- Get educated by watching the webinar, Autism Explosion by Dr. Coplan on April 4th @ 6 pm EST https://www.rethinkfirst.com/Community/webinars/default.aspx
- Print out and distribute Autism Awareness bookmarks at local libraries and schools http://homeschooling.about.com/od/freeprintables/ss/autismprint.htm#step8
- Shop Autism Awareness jewelry and help fundraise http://www.thepuzzlingpiece.com/products.html
- Read an Autism blog http://autism-hub.com/
- Support businesses for people with Autism such as Artists with Autism http://artistswithautismunite.webs.com/
- Get a proclamation from your city to help spread the word of Autism Acceptance and Awareness! Call the City Clerk or City Secretary to arrange it!
- Create an Autism Awareness Ambassador Program or club at your school to help raise money and spread awareness http://www.autismnj.org/ambassador
- Write public service announcements and try to get your local radio or TV station to air them
- Have someone read a fact about Autism every day over the intercom system at school for the month of April
- Have elementary/ school students make a pocket-sized booklet about Autism to spread awareness
- Put an Autism Puzzle Flag outside of your house to show your support the pledge for Autistic Inclusion/ support schools to do so http://www.autismacceptancemonth.com/pledge/
- Hang posters/ flyers on local college campuses with short facts about Autism and pictures
- Help your child learn self-advocacy and support Autism Awareness Month
- The signature puzzle ribbon of Autism Awareness was adopted in 1999 as the universal sign of Autism Awareness
- The first Autism Acceptance Month celebrations were organized by Paula Durbin Westby in 2011
By Dani Green, Intern, Autism Society of Central Texas