FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: AUTISM SOCIETY of Texas
Announcing Autism Friendly Businesses
Texas- May 25, 2017: Autism Friendly Business (AFB) is a new program that was developed by the Autism Society of Texas in order to encourage and celebrate community inclusion. This recognition allows all affected by autism to know safe spaces in the community. AFBs are recognized based on their work to include individuals with autism through sensory friendly events, receiving training from the Autism Society of Texas, has hired an individual with autism or much more. The Autism Society of Texas is grateful to all the businesses that have already taken these steps and are proud to share their information statewide. For the first round of applicants, the Autism Society of Texas is pleased to announce the following businesses as autism friendly:
- Ride Austin
- CrossFit City Limits
- Bloom Consulting
- First Leap
- Williams Community School
- The Doseum
- Precision Car Wash
- AMC Barton Creek Square
- Project Genius
The Autism Society is the nation’s largest and oldest grassroots autism organization. Founded in 1965, the Autism Society and its national network of local affiliates is dedicated to improving the lives of those living with autism, supporting families and communities, and ensuring that individuals lead lives that include acceptance, dignity, and independence to the greatest extent possible.
- Approximately one in four young adults with autism is socially isolated.
- Four in every 10 young adults on the autism spectrum never worked for pay between high school and their early 20s. Those who got jobs tended to work part-time in low-wage jobs.
- Approximately 26% of young adults on the autism spectrum received no services – services which could help them become employed, continue their education, or live more independently.
- Over half of young adults with autism received no vocational or life skills services during their early 20s.
- Nearly 37% of young adults with autism were disconnected from both work and education after high school
As one of over 90 local affiliates, the Autism Society of Texas has supported families and individuals with autism for over 27 years here in Texas and is dedicated to improving lives in our community through a series of services and supports. The Autism Society of Texas is proud of our programs and initiatives and the contributions we make to our community:
- Information and Referrals
- Education and Training
- Community inclusion
For more information about autism and the Autism Society, please visit: www.texasautismsociety.org.
Download: PressRelease_Autism Friendly Businesses.